For us as a family with busy lives, this is one of my favourite recipes because everyone adores this dish. I know it will give us enough for two meals which is great. You will get nine generous to ten good helpings from this pie. Enjoy!
Tail of a salmon (or 4/5 pieces)
2 pieces of smoked undyed haddock
2 pieces of unsmoked haddock
1 packet of raw prawns
6 medium free range eggs
Handful of thyme sprigs
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp plain flour (it can be gluten free)
good handful of grated mature cheddar cheese
5/8 (depending on their size) Maris piper potatoes for mashing
1. Pop your oven on to 180 degrees and let it warm up.
2. Take a dish, I use a deep 20 x 30 cm dish which is perfect for these quantities.
3. Place in all the fish - make sure you remove any bones at this stage, place the thyme on top, grind on black pepper and pour over enough milk to cover all the fish. Now put it in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. While the fish is cooking, hard boil your eggs for ten minutes and peel your potatoes getting them ready, to boil, all set for mashing when cooked.
5. Remove the dish from the oven, carefully pour off the milk into a jug to be used to make your white sauce.
6. On top of the cooked fish you will now place your raw prawns and your halved hard boiled eggs.
7. Cook the white sauce. Place the flour and butter in a saucepan and beat together, remember to keep stirring. The mix when cooking is called a roux. Let the roux cook through, you'll see it turn white, then slowly add the set aside milk making the white sauce. Finally add a good handful of cheese. Taste it, if you want add more ground pepper. Always taste anything you are cooking to make sure you like it.
8. When ready, pour over the white sauce over all the ingredients and finally add your mashed potato on top. For me the best mashed potato is made by mashing the potatoes then beating in a knob of butter, splash of milk and freshly ground black pepper.
9. Back into the oven for half an hour and dinner is ready.